On The Verge
Mattias Hellberg and The White Moose
Though its native Sweden has a rich psychedelic tradition going back to Träd, Gräs, Och Stenar, Mattias Hellberg and The White Moose might be Gothenberg’s first legit jamband. “I was sick of the singer/songwriter thing, the alternative country scene [here]—and I was part of it,” sighs the 36-year-old Hellberg, a fixture on Sweden’s stages since the mid-‘90s. “I wanted to make music that was more party-going. More fun.” Out of the Frying Pan, Into the Woods, the band’s basement-recorded debut, burbles with a party-going boogie (and is topped with a picture of Hellberg astride a white moose, grazing amid Allman Brothers Band-like mushrooms). Though Hellberg has an impressive constellation of reference points—his Moonbeam Moozy DJ sets include Captain Beefheart demos, Nigerian funk and ‘60s psych-soul—the White Moose is an old-school, innocent jamband soiree. With sweet Hammond organ, pre-disco hippie-funk, mini-epics and inviting, stupid lyrics, Hellberg has found a back door to a random Friday night at New York’s Wetlands club in 1991 (or so). “The music we do is not that big in Sweden,” shrugs Hellberg, who feels more kinship to Swedish mega-stars (and high school buddies) Soundtrack of Our Lives, whom he occasionally subs with. But, then, white moose are rare anywhere. www.myspace.com/mattiashellberg
In honor of Umphrey’s McGee’s return to Summer Camp this weekend, we present the group’s Brendan Bayliss and Jake Cinninger performing this version of “The Pequod” from UM’s Anchor Drops.
Dame shares a song from her new EP Preventions of Heartbreak.
Golden Bloom stopped by Relix to perform a tune from their latest EP No Day Like Today.
The Chapin Sisters share an tune from their new album A Date With the Everly Brothers.
Minneapolis-based Night Moves share a song from their record, Colored Emotions, live at Relix.
Cloud Cult share a song from their latest album live at Relix.
The Giving Tree Band enjoy a spring day on the Relix rooftop, while performing a classic Grateful Dead tune.
Canadian singer-songwriter Hayden performs a duet with his sister-in-law Lou Canon. The song appears on Us Alone his first record on Broken Social Scene’s Arts & Crafts Productions.
The Milk Carton Kids share the first song from their new album, The Ash & Clay.
Here is the new video from Serbian guitar ace Ana Popovic. “Object Of Obsession” appears on her latest album Can You Stand The Heat.
- Relix Live Fridays: Trey Anastasio at The Fox
- Grace Potter & The Nocturnals "The Lion The Beast The Beat" (Official Video)
- The Allman Brothers Band Before Gregg?
- The M & Ms: Medeski, Mali, Mercurio, Moore at (Le) Poisson Rouge (A Gallery)
- Brendan Bayliss and Jake Cinninger "The Pequod"
- Trey Anastasio with the National Symphony Orchestra at the Kennedy Center
- More Visions of the Hangout Music Festival 2013 (A Gallery)
- A Blowout for the So So Glos
- Interlocken Festival to Feature Neil Young, Furthur, String Cheese Incident, Black Crowes, Zac Brown and More
- Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers "Friend of The Devil" at the Beacon
- The Salvation of Page McConnell (Relix Revisited)
- Interlocken Adds Widespread Panic and John Fogerty, Furthur to Play Workingman’s Dead
- Warren Haynes and Joe Bonamassa "If Heartaches Were Nickels"
- The Final Ingredient in Dogfish Head’s Grateful Dead Tribute Ale Is…
- Stone Gossard Readies His Moonlander
- Trey Anastasio Band at The Hangout (Video Stream)
- Doctor’s Orders: So what should we call the Super Ball IX Newspaper?
- John Kadlecik Posts Statement on Bob Weir’s Collapse
- "I Wanne Be In moe.": The Latest Volunteers
- Bob Weir Escorted Off Stage During Furthur Show
- Vote for Your Favorite "I Wanne Be In moe." Contestant
- Furthur Cancels BottleRock Show as Bob Weir Is Out Of Commision
- Doctor’s Orders: What’s Your Favorite Furthur Song? (Win Copy of Relix Signed by Phil and Bobby)
- On The Verge Poll