On The Verge
Alaska in Winter
Berlin, Germany/New York, N.Y.
The Balkan Dance Party
“Where I am definitely influences my records,” Brandon Bethancourt says of his alter-ego Alaska in Winter. “Both in terms of my physical location— and where I am in my head.” Growing up in Albuquerque, N. M., Bethancourt was exposed to a wide variety of Romanian, Bulgarian and Byzantine music by his Eastern Orthodox parents, and later used those styles as the basis for his electro-Balkan dance music. After his art school scholarship ended, Bethancourt spent time both living in the Alaskan wilderness and traveling through Europe—and elements of those journeys can be heard on his 2007 breakthrough Dance Party in the Balkans. The record also features a guest turn by his old friend Zach Condon (Beruit). “I was really good friends with Zach’s older brother, so when he moved away, Zach and I started making music together,” Bethancourt reminisces. Shortly before releasing his latest studio album, Bethancourt traveled to Berlin and absorbed that city’s sound into the synth-happy Holiday. “When I was in Berlin I had no instruments, so Holiday came out very electronic and synthesized,” he admits. “For the past few months I have been living in New York, so I am sure whatever I do next will have some of that vibe as well.”
Golden Bloom stopped by Relix to perform a tune from their latest EP No Day Like Today.
The Chapin Sisters share an tune from their new album A Date With the Everly Brothers.
Minneapolis-based Night Moves share a song from their record, Colored Emotions, live at Relix.
Cloud Cult share a song from their latest album live at Relix.
The Giving Tree Band enjoy a spring day on the Relix rooftop, while performing a classic Grateful Dead tune.
Canadian singer-songwriter Hayden performs a duet with his sister-in-law Lou Canon. The song appears on Us Alone his first record on Broken Social Scene’s Arts & Crafts Productions.
The Milk Carton Kids share the first song from their new album, The Ash & Clay.
Here is the new video from Serbian guitar ace Ana Popovic. “Object Of Obsession” appears on her latest album Can You Stand The Heat.
Ron Sexsmith visits the Relix office to perform a tune from his latest record Forever Endeavor.
Crystal Bowersox stops by Relix to perform a song from her new album, All That For This.
- Ray Manzarek, Founding Member of The Doors, Passes Away at 74
- Golden Bloom "Flying Mountain"
- Tedeschi Trucks Band at the Doheny Blues Festival
- Video Premiere: Anna Bergendahl "Fun"
- Electric Forest’s King and Queen
- Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers "Friend of The Devil"
- Grateful Dead’s Morning Brew and Drop Dead Dark Roast
- Trey Anastasio Band at The Hangout (Video Stream)
- Interlocken Festival to Feature Neil Young, Furthur, String Cheese Incident, Black Crowes, Zac Brown and More
- The Salvation of Page McConnell (Relix Revisited)
- Jimi Hendrix, Miles Davis Tried to Form Supergroup with Paul McCartney
- Weir’s Here: On TRI, RatDog and Solo Gigs
- Warren Haynes and Joe Bonamassa "If Heartaches Were Nickels"
- The Final Ingredient in Dogfish Head’s Grateful Dead Tribute Ale Is…
- Stone Gossard Readies His Moonlander
- Allie Kral Says Goodbye to Cornmeal
- Doctor’s Orders: So what should we call the Super Ball IX Newspaper?
- John Kadlecik Posts Statement on Bob Weir’s Collapse
- "I Wanne Be In moe.": The Latest Volunteers
- Bob Weir Escorted Off Stage During Furthur Show
- Furthur Cancels BottleRock Show as Bob Weir Is Out Of Commision
- Vote for Your Favorite "I Wanne Be In moe." Contestant
- Doctor’s Orders: What’s Your Favorite Furthur Song? (Win Copy of Relix Signed by Phil and Bobby)
- On The Verge Poll