Michelle Shocked Dropped from Telluride Bleugrass Lineup after Alleged Anti-Gay Rant (Many Venues Have Done The Same)
Yesterday the Telluride Bluegrass Festival announced that the Drepung Monks would join the 2013 lineup replacing the scheduled collaboration between Michelle Shocked and the Campbell Brothers. This follows a wake of cancellations after Shocked reportedly told an audience on Sunday night at Yoshi’s in San Francisco, “When they stop Prop 8 and force priests at gunpoint to marry gays, it will be the downfall of civilization, and Jesus will come back…You can go on Twitter and say, ‘Michelle Shocked says God hates (anti-gay slur).’”
Initially, Planet Bluegrass, which promotes the event, posted a Facebook message which stated:
Dear Festivarians… We are carefully considering the status of Michelle Shocked at the upcoming 40th Annual Telluride Bluegrass Festival.
We certainly do not condone any of Michelle’s reported statements from her 3/17 performance. But given our 20-year relationship with Michelle (and our festival being 6 weeks later than her other US performances), we are taking a little extra time to confirm all the facts (beyond the 3rd party news stories) before making a final decision.
We appreciate everyone’s thoughtful Facebook comments, emails, and phone calls regarding the situation. We especially welcome comments from people who were personally in attendance at Michelle’s 3/17 performance.
Planet Bluegrass likely received a barrage of such feedback as the announcement that Shocked had been replaced, appeared just a few hours later.
At this point it appears that nearly all of her upcoming shows have been cancelled (The HopMonk Tavern in Novato, CA, for example, posted on its website, “Due to comments made by Michelle Shocked at Yoshi’s in San Francisco last night, March 17, we have decided to cancel our show here with Michelle on Friday March 29. Refunds can be made at place of purchase.”)
In honor of Umphrey’s McGee’s return to Summer Camp this weekend, we present the group’s Brendan Bayliss and Jake Cinninger performing this version of “The Pequod” from UM’s Anchor Drops.
Dame shares a song from her new EP Preventions of Heartbreak.
Golden Bloom stopped by Relix to perform a tune from their latest EP No Day Like Today.
The Chapin Sisters share an tune from their new album A Date With the Everly Brothers.
Minneapolis-based Night Moves share a song from their record, Colored Emotions, live at Relix.
Cloud Cult share a song from their latest album live at Relix.
The Giving Tree Band enjoy a spring day on the Relix rooftop, while performing a classic Grateful Dead tune.
Canadian singer-songwriter Hayden performs a duet with his sister-in-law Lou Canon. The song appears on Us Alone his first record on Broken Social Scene’s Arts & Crafts Productions.
The Milk Carton Kids share the first song from their new album, The Ash & Clay.
Here is the new video from Serbian guitar ace Ana Popovic. “Object Of Obsession” appears on her latest album Can You Stand The Heat.
- Brendan Bayliss and Jake Cinninger "The Pequod"
- Trey Anastasio with the National Symphony Orchestra at the Kennedy Center
- More Visions of the Hangout Music Festival 2013 (A Gallery)
- A Blowout for the So So Glos
- Portugal. The Man "Atomic Man" (Official Video)
- Prince "Fixurlifeup" (Official Video)
- Alex Bleeker & The Freaks: How Far Away
- Interlocken Festival to Feature Neil Young, Furthur, String Cheese Incident, Black Crowes, Zac Brown and More
- Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers "Friend of The Devil" at the Beacon
- The Salvation of Page McConnell (Relix Revisited)
- Interlocken Adds Widespread Panic and John Fogerty, Furthur to Play Workingman’s Dead
- Warren Haynes and Joe Bonamassa "If Heartaches Were Nickels"
- The Final Ingredient in Dogfish Head’s Grateful Dead Tribute Ale Is…
- Stone Gossard Readies His Moonlander
- Trey Anastasio Band at The Hangout (Video Stream)
- Doctor’s Orders: So what should we call the Super Ball IX Newspaper?
- John Kadlecik Posts Statement on Bob Weir’s Collapse
- "I Wanne Be In moe.": The Latest Volunteers
- Bob Weir Escorted Off Stage During Furthur Show
- Vote for Your Favorite "I Wanne Be In moe." Contestant
- Furthur Cancels BottleRock Show as Bob Weir Is Out Of Commision
- Doctor’s Orders: What’s Your Favorite Furthur Song? (Win Copy of Relix Signed by Phil and Bobby)
- On The Verge Poll