The Drive-By Truckers Close 2012 with The Help of Some Friends
Drive-By Truckers closed their three-show run at Washington, DC’s 9:30 Club on New Year’s Eve. As previously reported, Truckers guitarist John Neff left the group on the eve of their New Year’s run. The group has not confirmed many plans to replace him, though Truckers keyboardist Jay Gonzalez pulled double duty and played auxiliary guitar at several points throughout their 9:30 Club shows.
The North Mississippi Allstars Duo opened for Drive-By Truckers on New Year’s Eve, and, later in the night, both members of the duo set in with the Drive-By Truckers. The two group have a long, intertwined history. David Hood, the father of Drive-By Truckers’ Patterson Hood, also worked with many of the same musicians as Jim Dickinson, the father of NMA founder Luther and Cody Dickinson. Near the end of the Truckers’ show, Luther and Cody joined the band on guitar and organ, respectively, for “Let There Be Rock.” Then, Cody switched to electric washboard, and the brothers helped Drive-By Truckers close their New Year’s celebration with “Shut Up and Get on the Plane,” “Buttholeville” and Jim Carroll’s “People Who Died.”
Drive-By Truckers will kick off their annual homecoming run at Athens, GA’s 40 Watt Club on January 17. The North Mississippi Allstars will open their winter tour at Hattiesburg, MS’Brewsky’s on January 30.
Monday, December 31, 9:30 Club, Washington, DC
The Buford Stick
The Company I Keep
The Three Great Alabama Icons >
The Southern Thing
72 (This Highway’s Mean)
Get Downtown > Happy New Year
Don’t Be In Love Around Me
3 Dimes Down
Margo and Harold
Love Like This
A World of Hurt > A Ghost To Most
Hell No, I Ain’t Happy
Let There Be Rock*
Shut Up and Get on the Plane%
People Who Died%
*Luther Dickinson on guitar. Cody Dickinson on organ
% Luther on guitar. Cody on electric washboard
In honor of Umphrey’s McGee’s return to Summer Camp this weekend, we present the group’s Brendan Bayliss and Jake Cinninger performing this version of “The Pequod” from UM’s Anchor Drops.
Dame shares a song from her new EP Preventions of Heartbreak.
Golden Bloom stopped by Relix to perform a tune from their latest EP No Day Like Today.
The Chapin Sisters share an tune from their new album A Date With the Everly Brothers.
Minneapolis-based Night Moves share a song from their record, Colored Emotions, live at Relix.
Cloud Cult share a song from their latest album live at Relix.
The Giving Tree Band enjoy a spring day on the Relix rooftop, while performing a classic Grateful Dead tune.
Canadian singer-songwriter Hayden performs a duet with his sister-in-law Lou Canon. The song appears on Us Alone his first record on Broken Social Scene’s Arts & Crafts Productions.
The Milk Carton Kids share the first song from their new album, The Ash & Clay.
Here is the new video from Serbian guitar ace Ana Popovic. “Object Of Obsession” appears on her latest album Can You Stand The Heat.
- Relix Live Fridays: Trey Anastasio at The Fox
- Grace Potter & The Nocturnals "The Lion The Beast The Beat" (Official Video)
- The Allman Brothers Band Before Gregg?
- The M & Ms: Medeski, Mali, Mercurio, Moore at (Le) Poisson Rouge (A Gallery)
- Brendan Bayliss and Jake Cinninger "The Pequod"
- Trey Anastasio with the National Symphony Orchestra at the Kennedy Center
- More Visions of the Hangout Music Festival 2013 (A Gallery)
- A Blowout for the So So Glos
- Interlocken Festival to Feature Neil Young, Furthur, String Cheese Incident, Black Crowes, Zac Brown and More
- Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers "Friend of The Devil" at the Beacon
- The Salvation of Page McConnell (Relix Revisited)
- Interlocken Adds Widespread Panic and John Fogerty, Furthur to Play Workingman’s Dead
- Warren Haynes and Joe Bonamassa "If Heartaches Were Nickels"
- The Final Ingredient in Dogfish Head’s Grateful Dead Tribute Ale Is…
- Stone Gossard Readies His Moonlander
- Trey Anastasio Band at The Hangout (Video Stream)
- Doctor’s Orders: So what should we call the Super Ball IX Newspaper?
- John Kadlecik Posts Statement on Bob Weir’s Collapse
- "I Wanne Be In moe.": The Latest Volunteers
- Bob Weir Escorted Off Stage During Furthur Show
- Vote for Your Favorite "I Wanne Be In moe." Contestant
- Furthur Cancels BottleRock Show as Bob Weir Is Out Of Commision
- Doctor’s Orders: What’s Your Favorite Furthur Song? (Win Copy of Relix Signed by Phil and Bobby)
- On The Verge Poll