Keith Richards and Don Was Will Produce and Perform on Aaron Neville Album
Aaron Neville will release an album of classic material from the doo-wop era this fall. Produced by none other than Keith Richards and Blue Note Records President Don Was, the album will focus on tracks Neville remembers from his childhood.
“Aaron Neville is one of the most expressive and soulful artists of all time…it’s such a thrill to hear him sing,” Was said in a statement. “His vocals have a way of reaching into your heart and stirring something really deep inside. It’s a huge honor to welcome him to Blue Note Records and to be involved, along with the legendary Keith Richards, in the production of this album.”
“When I was a kid, doo-wop was like medicine to me,” Neville explains. “I didn’t care what else was goin’ on in the world as long as I could sing along with Pookie Hudson and The Spaniels, The Flamingos, The Clovers, Sonny Til and The Orioles, Clyde McPhatter—I was like a kid in a candy store.”
In addition to Keith Richards on guitar, the album also features: Greg Leisz on guitar (Beck, Sheryl Crow, Bob Dylan, Ryan Adams), Benmont Tench on organ (founding member of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers), George G. Receli on drums (Bob Dylan, James Brown) and Tony Scherr on bass (Bill Frisell, Norah Jones, Rufus Wainwright). “This was a dream session,” Richards says. “The band fell right into the groove and Aaron sang like an angel. It was an honor!”
Richards and The Rolling Stones toured with The Neville Brothers and The Meters in the ‘70s and ‘80s. Aaron Neville’s son Ivan also played in Richards’ X-pensive Winos.
Aaron Neville Quintet Tour Dates
June 23 Greensboro, NC—Carolina Theatre
June 24 Norfolk, VA—23rd Annual Bayoo Boogaloo
June 26 Charlottesville, VA—Paramount Theatre
June 28 New Orleans, LA—House of Blues
June 30 Beverly, MA—North Shore Music Theatre
July 13 Park City, UT—Big Stars, Bright Nights
July 14 Boulder, CO—Chautauqua Auditorium
July 15 Arvada, CO—Arvada Center Amphitheater
August 4 Charleston, WV—Multi-Fest WV
August 5 Washington, DC—The Howard Theatre
August 7 Ponte Vedra, FL—Ponte Vedra Concert Hall
August 8 Orlando, FL—The Plaza Theatre Live
August 10 Mobile, AL—Saenger Theatre
August 11 Atlanta, GA—Atlanta Botanical Gardens
In honor of Umphrey’s McGee’s return to Summer Camp this weekend, we present the group’s Brendan Bayliss and Jake Cinninger performing this version of “The Pequod” from UM’s Anchor Drops.
Dame shares a song from her new EP Preventions of Heartbreak.
Golden Bloom stopped by Relix to perform a tune from their latest EP No Day Like Today.
The Chapin Sisters share an tune from their new album A Date With the Everly Brothers.
Minneapolis-based Night Moves share a song from their record, Colored Emotions, live at Relix.
Cloud Cult share a song from their latest album live at Relix.
The Giving Tree Band enjoy a spring day on the Relix rooftop, while performing a classic Grateful Dead tune.
Canadian singer-songwriter Hayden performs a duet with his sister-in-law Lou Canon. The song appears on Us Alone his first record on Broken Social Scene’s Arts & Crafts Productions.
The Milk Carton Kids share the first song from their new album, The Ash & Clay.
Here is the new video from Serbian guitar ace Ana Popovic. “Object Of Obsession” appears on her latest album Can You Stand The Heat.
- Relix Live Fridays: Trey Anastasio at The Fox
- Grace Potter & The Nocturnals "The Lion The Beast The Beat" (Official Video)
- The Allman Brothers Band Before Gregg?
- The M & Ms: Medeski, Mali, Mercurio, Moore at (Le) Poisson Rouge (A Gallery)
- Brendan Bayliss and Jake Cinninger "The Pequod"
- Trey Anastasio with the National Symphony Orchestra at the Kennedy Center
- More Visions of the Hangout Music Festival 2013 (A Gallery)
- A Blowout for the So So Glos
- Interlocken Festival to Feature Neil Young, Furthur, String Cheese Incident, Black Crowes, Zac Brown and More
- Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers "Friend of The Devil" at the Beacon
- The Salvation of Page McConnell (Relix Revisited)
- Interlocken Adds Widespread Panic and John Fogerty, Furthur to Play Workingman’s Dead
- Warren Haynes and Joe Bonamassa "If Heartaches Were Nickels"
- The Final Ingredient in Dogfish Head’s Grateful Dead Tribute Ale Is…
- Stone Gossard Readies His Moonlander
- Trey Anastasio Band at The Hangout (Video Stream)
- Doctor’s Orders: So what should we call the Super Ball IX Newspaper?
- John Kadlecik Posts Statement on Bob Weir’s Collapse
- "I Wanne Be In moe.": The Latest Volunteers
- Bob Weir Escorted Off Stage During Furthur Show
- Furthur Cancels BottleRock Show as Bob Weir Is Out Of Commision
- Vote for Your Favorite "I Wanne Be In moe." Contestant
- Doctor’s Orders: What’s Your Favorite Furthur Song? (Win Copy of Relix Signed by Phil and Bobby)
- On The Verge Poll