Relix Premiere: Little Feat "Rooster Rag"
On June 26, Little Feat will release their fifteenth studio album, Rooster Rag. Featuring the group’s first original material since 2003’s Kickin’ It at the Barn, the album is comprised of 10 brand new songs including four collaborations with Grateful Dead lyricist Robert Hunter plus two blues classics, one from Mississippi John Hurt and one from Willie Dixon. This is also Little Feat’s first album with new drummer Gabe Ford, who replaced the late Richie Hayward following his passing in August of 2010.
We’re now offering an exclusive download of the album’s Hunter-penned title track, “Rooster Rag,” which you can receive in exchange for your e-mail address below. Little Feat’s Bill Payne recently spoke to us about his collaborations with Hunter on the new album:
In order for me to get any material to Hunter, I had to actually sing it with those new-fangled mics and it was absurd! So I’m sort of learning the ABCs of recording, which I don’t really have down yet but it was enough to convey what the song was to him. We’d sign off on them and continue on and that’s really the way that part of it worked. It forced me to look at things and as I would sit here singing these songs at the house; my vocals were getting better and better. I was actually practicing that more than I was the piano or the keyboards.
Also be sure to read our recent interview with Little Feat guitarist Paul Barrere for more details on the new album.
Golden Bloom stopped by Relix to perform a tune from their latest EP No Day Like Today.
The Chapin Sisters share an tune from their new album A Date With the Everly Brothers.
Minneapolis-based Night Moves share a song from their record, Colored Emotions, live at Relix.
Cloud Cult share a song from their latest album live at Relix.
The Giving Tree Band enjoy a spring day on the Relix rooftop, while performing a classic Grateful Dead tune.
Canadian singer-songwriter Hayden performs a duet with his sister-in-law Lou Canon. The song appears on Us Alone his first record on Broken Social Scene’s Arts & Crafts Productions.
The Milk Carton Kids share the first song from their new album, The Ash & Clay.
Here is the new video from Serbian guitar ace Ana Popovic. “Object Of Obsession” appears on her latest album Can You Stand The Heat.
Ron Sexsmith visits the Relix office to perform a tune from his latest record Forever Endeavor.
Crystal Bowersox stops by Relix to perform a song from her new album, All That For This.
- Interlocken Adds Widespread Panic and John Fogerty, Furthur to Play Workingman’s Dead
- Iron & Wine at The Beacon (A Gallery)
- The National "Don’t Swallow the Cap" on Letterman
- A Great Night in Harlem (A Gallery)
- "Friend of The Devil": Elvis Costello, Lyle Lovett, Grace Potter, Keller Williams, Ministry…
- American Idol’s Randy Jackson To Produce Sister Sparrow & The Dirty Birds
- Covering Relix: The Doors (April 1991)
- Spin Doctors: If the River Was Whiskey
- Interlocken Festival to Feature Neil Young, Furthur, String Cheese Incident, Black Crowes, Zac Brown and More
- The Salvation of Page McConnell (Relix Revisited)
- Jimi Hendrix, Miles Davis Tried to Form Supergroup with Paul McCartney
- Weir’s Here: On TRI, RatDog and Solo Gigs
- Warren Haynes and Joe Bonamassa "If Heartaches Were Nickels"
- The Final Ingredient in Dogfish Head’s Grateful Dead Tribute Ale Is…
- Stone Gossard Readies His Moonlander
- Trey Anastasio Band at The Hangout (Video Stream)
- Doctor’s Orders: So what should we call the Super Ball IX Newspaper?
- John Kadlecik Posts Statement on Bob Weir’s Collapse
- "I Wanne Be In moe.": The Latest Volunteers
- Bob Weir Escorted Off Stage During Furthur Show
- Furthur Cancels BottleRock Show as Bob Weir Is Out Of Commision
- Vote for Your Favorite "I Wanne Be In moe." Contestant
- Doctor’s Orders: What’s Your Favorite Furthur Song? (Win Copy of Relix Signed by Phil and Bobby)
- On The Verge Poll