Steve Cropper Enlists Steve Winwood, B.B. King, Lucinda Williams, John Popper and Sharon Jones for New Album
As previously reported, Booker T. Jones will release an all-star album this spring. Now, Jones’ Booker T. and the MG’s guitarist Steve Cropper has confirmed a guest-heavy album of his own. Billed as tribute to to fellow guitarist Lowman “Pete” Pauling and his pioneering R&B group The 5 Royales, Dedicated will feature the core band of David Hood (bass), Spooner Oldham (piano/electric piano, organ), Steve Ferrone (drums), Steve Jordan (drums, percussion), Neal Sugarman (from the Dap Kings) and producer Jon Tiven (Felix Cavaliere).
The album will also boast guest appearances by no less than Lucinda Williams, Brian May, Sharon Jones, Steve Winwood, John Popper, B.B. King, Bettye LaVette, Delbert McClinton, Buddy Miller and Shemekia Copeland. “Part of getting older and still being able to play and all of that—-at a certain point it becomes about educating the next generation,” Cropper said in a statement. “ I’ve already had four of five careers and I’m lucky to be alive. If I can educate these young ears as to where the music started, because they’re always asking, and if I can get them interested in the Five Royales I’ve done something.” The album is slated for release on August 9.
Here’s a look at the album’s track listing
1) 30 Second Lover (w/ Steve Winwood)
2) Don’t Be Ashamed (w/ Bettye LaVette & Willie Jones)
3) Baby Don’t Do It (w/ B.B. King & Shemekia Copeland)
4) Dedicated To The One I Love (w/ Lucinda Williams & Dan Penn)
5) My Sugar Sugar ( w/ John Popper)
6) Right Around The Corner (w/ Delbert McClinton)
7) Help Me Somebody (Instrumental)
8) I Do ( w/ Brian May)
9) Messin’ Up (w/Sharon Jones)
10) Say It (w/ Bettye LaVette)
11) Slummer The Slum (w/ Buddy Miller
12) Someone Made You For Me (w/Dan Penn)
13) Think (instrumental)
14) Come On And Save Me (Leblanc and Sharon Jones)
15) When I Get Like This (w/ Lucinda Williams)
In honor of Umphrey’s McGee’s return to Summer Camp this weekend, we present the group’s Brendan Bayliss and Jake Cinninger performing this version of “The Pequod” from UM’s Anchor Drops.
Dame shares a song from her new EP Preventions of Heartbreak.
Golden Bloom stopped by Relix to perform a tune from their latest EP No Day Like Today.
The Chapin Sisters share an tune from their new album A Date With the Everly Brothers.
Minneapolis-based Night Moves share a song from their record, Colored Emotions, live at Relix.
Cloud Cult share a song from their latest album live at Relix.
The Giving Tree Band enjoy a spring day on the Relix rooftop, while performing a classic Grateful Dead tune.
Canadian singer-songwriter Hayden performs a duet with his sister-in-law Lou Canon. The song appears on Us Alone his first record on Broken Social Scene’s Arts & Crafts Productions.
The Milk Carton Kids share the first song from their new album, The Ash & Clay.
Here is the new video from Serbian guitar ace Ana Popovic. “Object Of Obsession” appears on her latest album Can You Stand The Heat.
- Brendan Bayliss and Jake Cinninger "The Pequod"
- Trey Anastasio with the National Symphony Orchestra at the Kennedy Center
- More Visions of the Hangout Music Festival 2013 (A Gallery)
- A Blowout for the So So Glos
- Portugal. The Man "Atomic Man" (Official Video)
- Prince "Fixurlifeup" (Official Video)
- Alex Bleeker & The Freaks: How Far Away
- Interlocken Festival to Feature Neil Young, Furthur, String Cheese Incident, Black Crowes, Zac Brown and More
- Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers "Friend of The Devil" at the Beacon
- The Salvation of Page McConnell (Relix Revisited)
- Interlocken Adds Widespread Panic and John Fogerty, Furthur to Play Workingman’s Dead
- Warren Haynes and Joe Bonamassa "If Heartaches Were Nickels"
- The Final Ingredient in Dogfish Head’s Grateful Dead Tribute Ale Is…
- Stone Gossard Readies His Moonlander
- Trey Anastasio Band at The Hangout (Video Stream)
- Doctor’s Orders: So what should we call the Super Ball IX Newspaper?
- John Kadlecik Posts Statement on Bob Weir’s Collapse
- "I Wanne Be In moe.": The Latest Volunteers
- Bob Weir Escorted Off Stage During Furthur Show
- Furthur Cancels BottleRock Show as Bob Weir Is Out Of Commision
- Vote for Your Favorite "I Wanne Be In moe." Contestant
- Doctor’s Orders: What’s Your Favorite Furthur Song? (Win Copy of Relix Signed by Phil and Bobby)
- On The Verge Poll