Black Keys’ Brothers x Big Boi’s Sir Luscious mashup album
In the wake of such legendary mashups as Danger Mouse’s Grey Album- the vocals from Jay Z’s Black album paired with instrumentals from The Beatles’ White Album- comes a mashup of two of 2010’s more acclaimed albums: The Black Keys Brothers and Big Boi’s (half of the hip-hop group Outkast) Sir Luscious.
The artist behind the effort, dubbed The Brothers of Chico Dusty, is one Wick-It the Instigator. The eight track album is available for free download here while more of the producer/turntablist’s work is available for download here.
What makes this mashup slightly different than others that have taken their elements from two disparate albums is the fact that The Black Keys- a duo from Akron, Ohio who mix Hill Country blues with indie rock- are avowed fans of hip-hop to the degree that they’ve done considerable work within the genre. In the fall of 2009, the duo released an album called BlackRoc which features such heavy hitting MCs as RZA, GZA, Mos Def, Jim Jones, Q-Tip and Billy Danze and was partly overseen by Damon Dash. ( Relix did a story on the album, some of which can be read here. )
Moreover, sources have indicated that The Black Keys have already completed a five- to six-song EP with RZA due to be released sometime next year. At the moment, their aiming to have all eyes and ears focused on the success of Brothers, debuting at #2 on the Billboard 200 chart, which has garned the album and the group five Grammy nominations.
The group’s lead singer and guitarist, Dan Auerbach, also produced up-and-coming singer/songwriter Jessica Lea Mayfield’s forthcoming record, Tell Me, which is due in February. The young singer recently visited Relix for a video session in our boiler room. Check back in the next few weeks for footage.
We also found this mashup gem searching through Wick-It’s music:Beastie Boys vs. Grateful Dead - TRIPLE SHAKEDOWN by wick-it
Golden Bloom stopped by Relix to perform a tune from their latest EP No Day Like Today.
The Chapin Sisters share an tune from their new album A Date With the Everly Brothers.
Minneapolis-based Night Moves share a song from their record, Colored Emotions, live at Relix.
Cloud Cult share a song from their latest album live at Relix.
The Giving Tree Band enjoy a spring day on the Relix rooftop, while performing a classic Grateful Dead tune.
Canadian singer-songwriter Hayden performs a duet with his sister-in-law Lou Canon. The song appears on Us Alone his first record on Broken Social Scene’s Arts & Crafts Productions.
The Milk Carton Kids share the first song from their new album, The Ash & Clay.
Here is the new video from Serbian guitar ace Ana Popovic. “Object Of Obsession” appears on her latest album Can You Stand The Heat.
Ron Sexsmith visits the Relix office to perform a tune from his latest record Forever Endeavor.
Crystal Bowersox stops by Relix to perform a song from her new album, All That For This.
- Golden Bloom "Flying Mountain"
- Tedeschi Trucks Band at the Doheny Blues Festival
- Video Premiere: Anna Bergendahl "Fun"
- Electric Forest’s King and Queen
- Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers "Friend of The Devil"
- Grateful Dead’s Morning Brew and Drop Dead Dark Roast
- Trey Anastasio Band at The Hangout (Video Stream)
- John Medeski: A Different Time
- Interlocken Festival to Feature Neil Young, Furthur, String Cheese Incident, Black Crowes, Zac Brown and More
- The Salvation of Page McConnell (Relix Revisited)
- Jimi Hendrix, Miles Davis Tried to Form Supergroup with Paul McCartney
- Weir’s Here: On TRI, RatDog and Solo Gigs
- Warren Haynes and Joe Bonamassa "If Heartaches Were Nickels"
- The Final Ingredient in Dogfish Head’s Grateful Dead Tribute Ale Is…
- Stone Gossard Readies His Moonlander
- Allie Kral Says Goodbye to Cornmeal
- Doctor’s Orders: So what should we call the Super Ball IX Newspaper?
- John Kadlecik Posts Statement on Bob Weir’s Collapse
- "I Wanne Be In moe.": The Latest Volunteers
- Bob Weir Escorted Off Stage During Furthur Show
- Furthur Cancels BottleRock Show as Bob Weir Is Out Of Commision
- Vote for Your Favorite "I Wanne Be In moe." Contestant
- Doctor’s Orders: What’s Your Favorite Furthur Song? (Win Copy of Relix Signed by Phil and Bobby)
- On The Verge Poll