Mike Gordon Sets Release Date for Moss
Photo by Julia Mordaunt
Mike Gordon will release the new solo album Moss on October 19 via Rounder. The Phish co-founder plays a variety of instruments throughout the record, including bass, guitar, piano and drum programming. Page McConnell, Jon Fishman, Joe Russo, Marco Benevento and drummer Doug Belote are also featured on Moss.
According to Gordon, the goal of Moss was for the songs to “be simpler and more accessible as well as highly original, musing on matters of human consciousness and psychology in ways that are as listenable as they are unusual.”
“The Inside In album was kind of dreamy and the Green Sparrow was supposed to be a very awake experience,” Gordon told Relix while in the studio. “This one is sort of in the middle where it’s not quite dreamy but it’s also not pointedly awake. It’s supposed to be maybe more Alpha state – where you’re kind of half-awake and half-asleep, sort of playing with that.”
Gordon has played a few of Moss ’ songs live, including “Idea.” The bassist debuted the song with Phish earlier this summer and with his solo band at moe.down this past weekend. Mike Gordon Band will tour behind Moss this fall.
1. Can’t Stand Still
2. Horizon Line
3. Fire From A Stick
4. What Things Seem
5. Babylon Baby
7. The Void
8. Got Away
NOVEMBER TOUR DATES:
6 Troubadour West Hollywood, CA
7 The Independent San Francisco, CA
8 Aladdin Theater Portland, OR
10 Crocodile Café Seattle, WA
11 Wilma Theatre Missoula, MT
12 The State Room Salt Lake City, UT
13 Fox Theatre Boulder, CO
14 The Waiting Room Omaha, NE
16 Fine Line Music Café Minneapolis, MN
17 Barrymore Theatre Madison, WI
18 Lincoln Hall Chicago, IL
19 Bluebird Nightclub Bloomington, IN
20 Madison Theater Covington, KY
22 Beachland Ballroom Cleveland, OH
23 Westcott Theatre Syracuse, NY
26 Port City Music Hall Portland, ME
27 Royale Nightclub Boston, MA
Golden Bloom stopped by Relix to perform a tune from their latest EP No Day Like Today.
The Chapin Sisters share an tune from their new album A Date With the Everly Brothers.
Minneapolis-based Night Moves share a song from their record, Colored Emotions, live at Relix.
Cloud Cult share a song from their latest album live at Relix.
The Giving Tree Band enjoy a spring day on the Relix rooftop, while performing a classic Grateful Dead tune.
Canadian singer-songwriter Hayden performs a duet with his sister-in-law Lou Canon. The song appears on Us Alone his first record on Broken Social Scene’s Arts & Crafts Productions.
The Milk Carton Kids share the first song from their new album, The Ash & Clay.
Here is the new video from Serbian guitar ace Ana Popovic. “Object Of Obsession” appears on her latest album Can You Stand The Heat.
Ron Sexsmith visits the Relix office to perform a tune from his latest record Forever Endeavor.
Crystal Bowersox stops by Relix to perform a song from her new album, All That For This.
- Spin Doctors: If the River Was Whiskey
- Ray Manzarek, Founding Member of The Doors, Passes Away at 74
- Golden Bloom "Flying Mountain"
- Tedeschi Trucks Band at the Doheny Blues Festival
- Video Premiere: Anna Bergendahl "Fun"
- Electric Forest’s King and Queen
- Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers "Friend of The Devil"
- Grateful Dead’s Morning Brew and Drop Dead Dark Roast
- Interlocken Festival to Feature Neil Young, Furthur, String Cheese Incident, Black Crowes, Zac Brown and More
- The Salvation of Page McConnell (Relix Revisited)
- Jimi Hendrix, Miles Davis Tried to Form Supergroup with Paul McCartney
- Weir’s Here: On TRI, RatDog and Solo Gigs
- Warren Haynes and Joe Bonamassa "If Heartaches Were Nickels"
- The Final Ingredient in Dogfish Head’s Grateful Dead Tribute Ale Is…
- Stone Gossard Readies His Moonlander
- Allie Kral Says Goodbye to Cornmeal
- Doctor’s Orders: So what should we call the Super Ball IX Newspaper?
- John Kadlecik Posts Statement on Bob Weir’s Collapse
- "I Wanne Be In moe.": The Latest Volunteers
- Bob Weir Escorted Off Stage During Furthur Show
- Furthur Cancels BottleRock Show as Bob Weir Is Out Of Commision
- Vote for Your Favorite "I Wanne Be In moe." Contestant
- Doctor’s Orders: What’s Your Favorite Furthur Song? (Win Copy of Relix Signed by Phil and Bobby)
- On The Verge Poll