Full Moon Resort’s Music Masters Camps: Allowing Songs to Fill the Air
Can you tell us about a few past surprises?
Sure! Let’s see … last year Todd Rundgren brought in Peter Buck from R.E.M. … Umphrey’s McGee brought in Stanley Jordan to work with them … Medeski Martin & Wood always bring in incredible people such as John Scofield … the list goes on and on. (laughter)
Also there are often evening jam sessions, films, various social gatherings …
And campfires – tell me you have campfires.
Absolutely! (laughs) So, to answer your question, I guess that’s a very basic template for the week, ending with our Friday farewell.
Unless you’re staying to get married that weekend.
(laughs) Very good point!
Sounds like the food’s pretty darn good, too.
Oh, the catering’s exceptional. It ranges from really lovely down-home country barbeques outside to cocktails and hors d’oeuvres to full-on dinners with all kinds of really exceptional gourmet dining.
I’m going to apologize ahead of time, as I know this isn’t a fair question to ask you at all – but … (laughter) Do you have any favorites from these first years of sessions?
Oh … (laughs) Well, in the very beginning those intimate performances with Jorma Kaukonen and his special guests – such as Artie Traum, David Bromberg, G.E. Smith and others – were great … all the early performances by Medeski Martin & Wood …. Umphreys McGee’s “sUMmer school” … Three Of A Perfect Pair – that’s Tony Levin, Pat Masteletto and Adrian Belew – have been here in the past … the list goes on and on. That’s a really challenging question! (laughs)
I know, I know – that wasn’t fair. But how about this: let’s give folks a quick run-down of the artists you have on board for 2013. That should be easier.
Great! (laughter) Let’s see … we have Sarah Fimm’s Sparkle Camp, which is really quite wonderful. Drummer Benny Greb will be hosting a Master Session. There will be some real jazz greats on hand for Creative Music Studio’s 40th Anniversary retreat: John Medeski, Karl Berger, Dave Douglas, Don Byron, Oliver Lake, Harvey Sorgen are some of the names.
And then we have Butch Trucks and Oteil Burbridge of the Allman Brothers along with Luther and Cody Dickinson from the North Mississippi Allstars … two generations of rock ‘n’ roll! We’re really looking forward to that. Let’s see … Railroad Earth will be with us … Umphrey’s McGee is coming back … Richard Thompson is returning – that’s a fabulous camp … Dweezil Zappa will be back … Paul Gilbert, a brilliant guitarist, is on board for this year, as is Steve Howe from Yes. And – we just confirmed Dark Star Orchestra, which is really exciting.
And more to come, I assume. We should encourage folks to check the website for the most recent schedule.
Absolutely – we still have a few more artists we’re finalizing things with that we’ll be announcing soon.*****
Brian Robbins pitches his tent over at www.brian-robbins.com
Golden Bloom stopped by Relix to perform a tune from their latest EP No Day Like Today.
The Chapin Sisters share an tune from their new album A Date With the Everly Brothers.
Minneapolis-based Night Moves share a song from their record, Colored Emotions, live at Relix.
Cloud Cult share a song from their latest album live at Relix.
The Giving Tree Band enjoy a spring day on the Relix rooftop, while performing a classic Grateful Dead tune.
Canadian singer-songwriter Hayden performs a duet with his sister-in-law Lou Canon. The song appears on Us Alone his first record on Broken Social Scene’s Arts & Crafts Productions.
The Milk Carton Kids share the first song from their new album, The Ash & Clay.
Here is the new video from Serbian guitar ace Ana Popovic. “Object Of Obsession” appears on her latest album Can You Stand The Heat.
Ron Sexsmith visits the Relix office to perform a tune from his latest record Forever Endeavor.
Crystal Bowersox stops by Relix to perform a song from her new album, All That For This.
- Spin Doctors: If the River Was Whiskey
- Ray Manzarek, Founding Member of The Doors, Passes Away at 74
- Golden Bloom "Flying Mountain"
- Tedeschi Trucks Band at the Doheny Blues Festival
- Video Premiere: Anna Bergendahl "Fun"
- Electric Forest’s King and Queen
- Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers "Friend of The Devil"
- Grateful Dead’s Morning Brew and Drop Dead Dark Roast
- Interlocken Festival to Feature Neil Young, Furthur, String Cheese Incident, Black Crowes, Zac Brown and More
- The Salvation of Page McConnell (Relix Revisited)
- Jimi Hendrix, Miles Davis Tried to Form Supergroup with Paul McCartney
- Weir’s Here: On TRI, RatDog and Solo Gigs
- Warren Haynes and Joe Bonamassa "If Heartaches Were Nickels"
- The Final Ingredient in Dogfish Head’s Grateful Dead Tribute Ale Is…
- Stone Gossard Readies His Moonlander
- Allie Kral Says Goodbye to Cornmeal
- Doctor’s Orders: So what should we call the Super Ball IX Newspaper?
- John Kadlecik Posts Statement on Bob Weir’s Collapse
- "I Wanne Be In moe.": The Latest Volunteers
- Bob Weir Escorted Off Stage During Furthur Show
- Furthur Cancels BottleRock Show as Bob Weir Is Out Of Commision
- Vote for Your Favorite "I Wanne Be In moe." Contestant
- Doctor’s Orders: What’s Your Favorite Furthur Song? (Win Copy of Relix Signed by Phil and Bobby)
- On The Verge Poll