Reflections on 2012 from Grace Potter, Johnny Winter, Tim Reynolds, Anders Osborne
Here is the first of our pieces in which we will ask musicians to look back on the year that has passed and project what may follow in 2013. Click here to read out first installment with members of Drive-By Truckers, The Meters, Dawes and Dark Star Orchestra.
What will you remember most about 2012?
Wait…what year is it?
What albums have you listened to in the last year?
Here’s a random 10 albums that showed up as “Most Played“…in my brain
Fabienne Delsol – Between You and Me
Gerry Rafferty – City to City
Gilbert Becaud – Gilbert Becaud
Kelley Stoltz – Antique Glow
Louis Armstrong – I Love Jazz
Lydia Kavina – Original Works for Theremin: Music From the Ether
Michael Kiwanuka – Home Again
The Rat Pack – Christmas With the Rat Pack
Spiritualized – Ladies and Gentlemen We are Floating in Space
Spooky Tooth – The Best Of Spooky Tooth
What was your favorite show or tour of 2012?
Well, Farm Aid is always a good time, and it was just thrilling to see Neil and the Horse doing their thing again. But the winning night for me was the “Love for Levon” benefit. It was a very meaningful night for a lot of folks for a lot of reasons. It was a reckoning for me, and one of my favorite moments onstage not just this year, but in my whole career.
What emerging band should readers watch out for in 2013?
Stepkids, Natalie Prass, Rayland Baxter, The Jag
Any big plans in the works for 2013?
It’s the 40th year of Relix Mag. Do you remember the first time you read Relix? What article stands out?
I never actually read Relix until the summer of 2006 when we were touring in an RV that kept breaking down. Every time we got stranded, I would read Relix. If I recall, Trey & Michael Franti were on the cover and the issue was titled: “The Road to Bonnaroo” or something…good issue. I read it a lot.
In honor of Umphrey’s McGee’s return to Summer Camp this weekend, we present the group’s Brendan Bayliss and Jake Cinninger performing this version of “The Pequod” from UM’s Anchor Drops.
Dame shares a song from her new EP Preventions of Heartbreak.
Golden Bloom stopped by Relix to perform a tune from their latest EP No Day Like Today.
The Chapin Sisters share an tune from their new album A Date With the Everly Brothers.
Minneapolis-based Night Moves share a song from their record, Colored Emotions, live at Relix.
Cloud Cult share a song from their latest album live at Relix.
The Giving Tree Band enjoy a spring day on the Relix rooftop, while performing a classic Grateful Dead tune.
Canadian singer-songwriter Hayden performs a duet with his sister-in-law Lou Canon. The song appears on Us Alone his first record on Broken Social Scene’s Arts & Crafts Productions.
The Milk Carton Kids share the first song from their new album, The Ash & Clay.
Here is the new video from Serbian guitar ace Ana Popovic. “Object Of Obsession” appears on her latest album Can You Stand The Heat.
- Relix Live Fridays: Trey Anastasio at The Fox
- Grace Potter & The Nocturnals "The Lion The Beast The Beat" (Official Video)
- The Allman Brothers Band Before Gregg?
- The M & Ms: Medeski, Mali, Mercurio, Moore at (Le) Poisson Rouge (A Gallery)
- Brendan Bayliss and Jake Cinninger "The Pequod"
- Trey Anastasio with the National Symphony Orchestra at the Kennedy Center
- More Visions of the Hangout Music Festival 2013 (A Gallery)
- A Blowout for the So So Glos
- Interlocken Festival to Feature Neil Young, Furthur, String Cheese Incident, Black Crowes, Zac Brown and More
- Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers "Friend of The Devil" at the Beacon
- The Salvation of Page McConnell (Relix Revisited)
- Interlocken Adds Widespread Panic and John Fogerty, Furthur to Play Workingman’s Dead
- Warren Haynes and Joe Bonamassa "If Heartaches Were Nickels"
- The Final Ingredient in Dogfish Head’s Grateful Dead Tribute Ale Is…
- Stone Gossard Readies His Moonlander
- Trey Anastasio Band at The Hangout (Video Stream)
- Doctor’s Orders: So what should we call the Super Ball IX Newspaper?
- John Kadlecik Posts Statement on Bob Weir’s Collapse
- "I Wanne Be In moe.": The Latest Volunteers
- Bob Weir Escorted Off Stage During Furthur Show
- Vote for Your Favorite "I Wanne Be In moe." Contestant
- Furthur Cancels BottleRock Show as Bob Weir Is Out Of Commision
- Doctor’s Orders: What’s Your Favorite Furthur Song? (Win Copy of Relix Signed by Phil and Bobby)
- On The Verge Poll