The Relix 40: Words and Music (40 Novels)
To mark the 40th year of Relix, we are going to run a series of Relix 40 lists in the magazine and online that cover a variety of topics (For more Relix 40 lists Click here). The January/February issue presents 40 non-fiction music books that we recommend. Here we present 40 novels with music themes that can help warm your winter nights. They appear in order of publication.
Harlan Ellison Spider Kiss (Originally published as Rockabilly ) (1961) One of the earliest rock novels tracks the life of Stag Preston (whose life mirrors Elvis Presley and Jerry Lee Lewis).
Don Delillo Great Jones Street (1973) Rock star Bucky Wunderlick hides out in an apartment on Great Jones Street in Manhattan.
Michael Ondaatje Coming Through Slaughter (1976) A fictional account of Buddy Bolden, the real-life New Orleans jazz coronet player and jazz progenitor.
Peter Guralnick Nighthawk Blues: A Novel (1980) Theodore Roosevelt Jefferson, an aging blues musician known as the Screaming Nighthawk, is rediscovered by a new generation.
Tom Carson Twisted Kicks (1982) Punk rocker Dan Lang returns home to Icarus, VA.
P. F. Kluge Eddie and The Cruisers (1980) Eddie died is a car crash before his band The Parkway Cruisers came into their own but 20 years later, public interest in the group surges.
George R. R. Martin The Armageddon Rag (1983) The murder of a rock promoter is entwined with that of the lead singer in the Nazgul.
James Howard Kunstler The Life of Byron Janes (1983) A reclusive rock star thought to be dead is living quietly in a New England town.
James Robert Baker Fuel Injected Dreams (1986) Record producer Dennis Contrelle, famous in the 1960s is now a recluse is his mansion, married to the lead singer from his best-known project.
Iain Banks Espedair Street (1987) A rock star of the 70s must find his way in the 80s.
The Howlin’ Brothers take to the Relix rooftop and share a song they wrote with Warren Haynes.
Beth Hart shares the opening track from her latest album, Bang Bang Boom Boom, live at Relix.
Jamie Lidell sets up in the Relix boiler room and delivers a tune from his 2005 album Multiply
Duane Trucks is happy to announce his new project, King Lincoln. Watch them perform “Coffee” live and acoustic at Relix’s Online-Video Coordinator’s loft in Williamsburg.
Here’s another song from Crystal Bowersox’s new record All That For This, live at Relix.
WYATT share a song in the famed Relix boiler room.
Goodnight, Texas share a song from their latest studio album, A Long Life of Living, live at Relix.
Warren Haynes performs a solo, acoustic version of “Railroad Boy” and explains how he adapted the traditional Celtic song for Gov’t Mule, backstage at the Hangout Music Festival.
Australia’s Alpine recently made their NYC debut at the Relix office with this song from their new album A is for Alpine.
In honor of Umphrey’s McGee’s return to Summer Camp this weekend, we present the group’s Brendan Bayliss and Jake Cinninger performing this version of “The Pequod” from UM’s Anchor Drops.
- Sexmob: Cinema, Circus & Spaghetti (Sexmob Plays Fellini: The Music of Nino Rota)
- Summer Stars: Shovels & Rope
- Visions of Bonnaroo Friday (Paul McCartney, Passion Pit, Conspirator…)
- Preservation Hall Jazz Band: Free Download "Dear Lord (Give Me The Strength)"
- God Street Wine with Warren Haynes "Sweet Little Angel" (Live 1996)
- The Howlin’ Brothers "Big Time"
- Primus in Toronto
- Twice "The Joker" on Saturday at Bonnaroo (Gov’t Mule and Jack Johnson)
- Interlocken Confirms Daily Lineups, Tedeschi Trucks Band, Punch Brothers, Keller & The Keels and More Added
- Mumford and Sons Cancel Bonnaroo Show, Summer Tour
- Ed Helms: Bonnaroo, Banjos and a Bit of Phish
- Robert Hunter Will Return to the Stage for Eight Shows
- Warren Haynes to Play Jerry Garcia’s Wolf on Symphony Tour
- Tedeschi Trucks Band Share New Song
- Jack Is Back: Jack Johnson Talks Bonnaroo, ALO and New Album
- Patty Griffin in Boston
- Doctor’s Orders: So what should we call the Super Ball IX Newspaper?
- John Kadlecik Posts Statement on Bob Weir’s Collapse
- "I Wanne Be In moe.": The Latest Volunteers
- Bob Weir Escorted Off Stage During Furthur Show
- Vote for Your Favorite "I Wanne Be In moe." Contestant
- Furthur Cancels BottleRock Show as Bob Weir Is Out Of Commision
- Doctor’s Orders: What’s Your Favorite Furthur Song? (Win Copy of Relix Signed by Phil and Bobby)
- On The Verge Poll