A Look Back at the Phish Side Project Halloween Shows
Following yesterday’s news that Phish’s Page McConnell will perform as a guest keyboardist with The Metermen on Halloween, we’ve decided to look back on some of the Halloween shows performed by Phish’s side projects. Here’s a list of our favorites from over the years.
Halloween has always been an important part of Phish’s festive nature. The group has been playing appropriately themed shows on Halloween night since 1986, playing a total of eleven shows on October 31st throughout the years. Most notably, Halloween brought about the concert of a “musical costume,” during which, the band would perform a complete album by another band. The album would be the second of Phish’s three sets that night.
Notable albums include The Beatles’ The White Album and most recently, Little Feat’s Waiting for Columbus. In earlier years, the musical costume would be voted upon amongst fans via newsletters. The band even held costume contests at some shows. Even when an album was not played, sets included spooky themes throughout. This holds true for the various side-projects that have played on Halloweens that Phish has skipped. While other bands haven’t taken the leap to play full albums, it is evident that Halloween is an important holiday to all Phish members.
Trey with the Dectet – Asheville Civic Center 2002
While this show is light on rare covers or “spooky” songs, it’s definitely festive. This marathon show includes a version of “Tops Off” played for Brad Sands, Phish’s ex-manager. During the song, Trey encouraged the crowd to swing their shirts over their heads, doing so himself at the song’s conclusion.
Pork Tornado – Roseland Theater 2002
On Halloween 2002, Jon Fishman brought his Pork Tornado project to the Roseland Theater in Portland, ME. Playing alongside the lineup of guitarist Dan Archer, saxophonist Joe Moore, bassist Aaron Hersey and keyboardist Phil Abair, Fishman and friends delivered a slew of originals and cover songs, including several songs by Frank Zappa.
Trey Anastasio Band – Stubbs BBQ 2006
This show features many guest appearances including Russel Remmington, Fernado Castillo, Carlos Sosa, and Raul Vallejo on horns and Ivan Neville on Keyboards. The show itself includes a rather sparse setlist, allowing for longer jamming. It is clear Trey had the urge to get into some deeper playing on this Halloween.
Oysterhead – The Fillmore, Denver, CO 2001
A year in to the hiatus, Trey’s trio with Les Claypool and Stewart Copeland brought their Oysterheaded weirdness to Denver for a 2-night stand. Since the tour adhered to a singular setlist, few musical surprises were expected, however most of the audience was thoroughly amused by Trey emerging onstage wearing Fishman’s trademark dress. The show itself contained some of the finest jamming demonstrated by the trio in its short lifetime, and some Phish-related humor as Trey took advantage of a solo feature to tease a few signature Fishman vocal tunes.
Jazz Mandolin Project – The Juke Joint, Springfield, MO 2001
While Trey was dressed as Fishman onstage with Oysterhead in CO, Fishman was dressed as a jazz drummer with Jamie Masefield’s trio in MO. Touring in support of JMP’s Xenoblast, Fishman kept himself busy and in drumming shape over the hiatus with the mandolin-led trio. This seemed to ultimately have little impact on his drumming once Phish returned for the 2.0 era, especially in comparison to the wide assortment of new beats and approaches that Fishman has applied throughout 3.0, a period which followed an extended lack of drum activity.
In honor of Umphrey’s McGee’s return to Summer Camp this weekend, we present the group’s Brendan Bayliss and Jake Cinninger performing this version of “The Pequod” from UM’s Anchor Drops.
Dame shares a song from her new EP Preventions of Heartbreak.
Golden Bloom stopped by Relix to perform a tune from their latest EP No Day Like Today.
The Chapin Sisters share an tune from their new album A Date With the Everly Brothers.
Minneapolis-based Night Moves share a song from their record, Colored Emotions, live at Relix.
Cloud Cult share a song from their latest album live at Relix.
The Giving Tree Band enjoy a spring day on the Relix rooftop, while performing a classic Grateful Dead tune.
Canadian singer-songwriter Hayden performs a duet with his sister-in-law Lou Canon. The song appears on Us Alone his first record on Broken Social Scene’s Arts & Crafts Productions.
The Milk Carton Kids share the first song from their new album, The Ash & Clay.
Here is the new video from Serbian guitar ace Ana Popovic. “Object Of Obsession” appears on her latest album Can You Stand The Heat.
- Relix Live Fridays: Trey Anastasio at The Fox
- Grace Potter & The Nocturnals "The Lion The Beast The Beat" (Official Video)
- The Allman Brothers Band Before Gregg?
- The M & Ms: Medeski, Mali, Mercurio, Moore at (Le) Poisson Rouge (A Gallery)
- Brendan Bayliss and Jake Cinninger "The Pequod"
- Trey Anastasio with the National Symphony Orchestra at the Kennedy Center
- More Visions of the Hangout Music Festival 2013 (A Gallery)
- A Blowout for the So So Glos
- Interlocken Festival to Feature Neil Young, Furthur, String Cheese Incident, Black Crowes, Zac Brown and More
- Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers "Friend of The Devil" at the Beacon
- The Salvation of Page McConnell (Relix Revisited)
- Interlocken Adds Widespread Panic and John Fogerty, Furthur to Play Workingman’s Dead
- Warren Haynes and Joe Bonamassa "If Heartaches Were Nickels"
- The Final Ingredient in Dogfish Head’s Grateful Dead Tribute Ale Is…
- Stone Gossard Readies His Moonlander
- Trey Anastasio Band at The Hangout (Video Stream)
- Doctor’s Orders: So what should we call the Super Ball IX Newspaper?
- John Kadlecik Posts Statement on Bob Weir’s Collapse
- "I Wanne Be In moe.": The Latest Volunteers
- Bob Weir Escorted Off Stage During Furthur Show
- Vote for Your Favorite "I Wanne Be In moe." Contestant
- Furthur Cancels BottleRock Show as Bob Weir Is Out Of Commision
- Doctor’s Orders: What’s Your Favorite Furthur Song? (Win Copy of Relix Signed by Phil and Bobby)
- On The Verge Poll