Summer Stars: Sister Sparrow & The Dirty Birds
Our Summer Stars series features a variety of groups making the rounds on the festival circuit. Today we visit with Sister Sparrow & The Dirty Birds. For more of our Summer Star pieces, click here. In addition, click here to check out the Relix festival guide .
“We’re kicked into full throttle pretty much the whole time,” says Arleigh Kincheloe of her band Sister Sparrow & The Dirty Birds’s live performances. “It’s a party. There’s lots of dancing—very high energy.” The 9-piece, Brooklyn, N.Y.-based band is a family affair with both Arleigh’s brother Jackson (harmonica) and cousin Bram (drums) as members. The group serves up their own revved-up take on funk and Memphis soul and have shared the stage with such heavy hitters as Levon Helm, The Rebirth Brass Band and Sharon Jones.
Their sophomore album, Pound of Dirt, released earlier this year, packs a mean punch full of soulful vocals, gritty guitars and blaring horns. “We had it in mind to capture that energy of us live [for Pound of Dirt ] because with nine people, it’s powerful,” says Arleigh. You can catch their “sweaty, dirty and in your face” live show this summer where they’ll be appearing at multiple festivals, such as Camp Jam in the Pines, Summer Camp, Mountain Jam and Telluride Jazz.
Favorite summer pastime more people should try: I am an iced coffee freak and I really like milkshakes, so I like to get a coffee milkshakes. It’s like my favorite thing ever in the summer. Mister Softee giving me an iced coffee milkshake on the streets of New York is my favorite.
Best album for a summer night: My sisters and I would always listen to the original Buena Vista Social Club record when it was really hot outside while dancing around the kitchen and drinking margaritas.
Golden Bloom stopped by Relix to perform a tune from their latest EP No Day Like Today.
The Chapin Sisters share an tune from their new album A Date With the Everly Brothers.
Minneapolis-based Night Moves share a song from their record, Colored Emotions, live at Relix.
Cloud Cult share a song from their latest album live at Relix.
The Giving Tree Band enjoy a spring day on the Relix rooftop, while performing a classic Grateful Dead tune.
Canadian singer-songwriter Hayden performs a duet with his sister-in-law Lou Canon. The song appears on Us Alone his first record on Broken Social Scene’s Arts & Crafts Productions.
The Milk Carton Kids share the first song from their new album, The Ash & Clay.
Here is the new video from Serbian guitar ace Ana Popovic. “Object Of Obsession” appears on her latest album Can You Stand The Heat.
Ron Sexsmith visits the Relix office to perform a tune from his latest record Forever Endeavor.
Crystal Bowersox stops by Relix to perform a song from her new album, All That For This.
- Spin Doctors: If the River Was Whiskey
- Ray Manzarek, Founding Member of The Doors, Passes Away at 74
- Golden Bloom "Flying Mountain"
- Tedeschi Trucks Band at the Doheny Blues Festival
- Video Premiere: Anna Bergendahl "Fun"
- Electric Forest’s King and Queen
- Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers "Friend of The Devil"
- Grateful Dead’s Morning Brew and Drop Dead Dark Roast
- Interlocken Festival to Feature Neil Young, Furthur, String Cheese Incident, Black Crowes, Zac Brown and More
- The Salvation of Page McConnell (Relix Revisited)
- Jimi Hendrix, Miles Davis Tried to Form Supergroup with Paul McCartney
- Weir’s Here: On TRI, RatDog and Solo Gigs
- Warren Haynes and Joe Bonamassa "If Heartaches Were Nickels"
- The Final Ingredient in Dogfish Head’s Grateful Dead Tribute Ale Is…
- Stone Gossard Readies His Moonlander
- Allie Kral Says Goodbye to Cornmeal
- Doctor’s Orders: So what should we call the Super Ball IX Newspaper?
- John Kadlecik Posts Statement on Bob Weir’s Collapse
- "I Wanne Be In moe.": The Latest Volunteers
- Bob Weir Escorted Off Stage During Furthur Show
- Furthur Cancels BottleRock Show as Bob Weir Is Out Of Commision
- Vote for Your Favorite "I Wanne Be In moe." Contestant
- Doctor’s Orders: What’s Your Favorite Furthur Song? (Win Copy of Relix Signed by Phil and Bobby)
- On The Verge Poll