Summer Stars: GIVERS
Growing up in Lafayette, La., GIVERS singer/guitarist Taylor Guarisco didn’t scour buzzy music blogs or hip clubs to find out about alternative music. Instead, he looked to his city’s own Festival International de Louisiane.
“When we started this band, I didn’t have a perception of what ‘indie’ music was,” Guarisco admits. “We were kids making this West African music because once a year, this huge international music festival comes through Lafayette and we were inspired by all these amazing artists.”
Honing in on an indie sound that mixes those West African grooves with jittery not-quite Vampire Weekend pop and some local Cajun, funk and zydeco flavors, GIVERS started to gig around Lafayette. At first, Guarisco viewed the band as a fun distraction from his main gig playing in the Grammy winning Terrance Simien and the Zydeco Experience, but all that quickly changed just six shows in.
“We got offered an opening spot for Dirty Projectors in Baton Rouge, La. [in 2009],” Guarisco recalls. “At the time, they were my favorite band, and we quit our other bands to do that one show. We were all looking for something where we had more stock in creatively.”
Things really started to heat up after GIVERS scored a spot on tour with Dirty Projectors the next fall and released their debut album In Light on Glassnote in 2011. And since making a splash on the festival scene this past year, GIVERS will swing back through the circuit to perform at festivals ranging from Coachella to the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival and Mountain Jam. They also hope to start work on another set of songs.
“We are playing one new song right now,” Guarisco says. “When we get off the road for more than two weeks, we hope to work on some ideas and let them incubate.”
Favorite summertime food: Watermelons and boxes of corndogs
Best album for a warm summer night: Dr. Dog, Be the Void
In the beach versus forest debate, I choose: The beach because there aren’t many beaches to go to in Louisiana, though my entire family would always hang out in Grand Isle. It is a very small town in very deep, down, south Louisiana that’s kind of a beach but more of a fishing town.
In honor of Umphrey’s McGee’s return to Summer Camp this weekend, we present the group’s Brendan Bayliss and Jake Cinninger performing this version of “The Pequod” from UM’s Anchor Drops.
Dame shares a song from her new EP Preventions of Heartbreak.
Golden Bloom stopped by Relix to perform a tune from their latest EP No Day Like Today.
The Chapin Sisters share an tune from their new album A Date With the Everly Brothers.
Minneapolis-based Night Moves share a song from their record, Colored Emotions, live at Relix.
Cloud Cult share a song from their latest album live at Relix.
The Giving Tree Band enjoy a spring day on the Relix rooftop, while performing a classic Grateful Dead tune.
Canadian singer-songwriter Hayden performs a duet with his sister-in-law Lou Canon. The song appears on Us Alone his first record on Broken Social Scene’s Arts & Crafts Productions.
The Milk Carton Kids share the first song from their new album, The Ash & Clay.
Here is the new video from Serbian guitar ace Ana Popovic. “Object Of Obsession” appears on her latest album Can You Stand The Heat.
- Brendan Bayliss and Jake Cinninger "The Pequod"
- Trey Anastasio with the National Symphony Orchestra at the Kennedy Center
- More Visions of the Hangout Music Festival 2013 (A Gallery)
- A Blowout for the So So Glos
- Portugal. The Man "Atomic Man" (Official Video)
- Prince "Fixurlifeup" (Official Video)
- Alex Bleeker & The Freaks: How Far Away
- Interlocken Festival to Feature Neil Young, Furthur, String Cheese Incident, Black Crowes, Zac Brown and More
- Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers "Friend of The Devil" at the Beacon
- The Salvation of Page McConnell (Relix Revisited)
- Interlocken Adds Widespread Panic and John Fogerty, Furthur to Play Workingman’s Dead
- Warren Haynes and Joe Bonamassa "If Heartaches Were Nickels"
- The Final Ingredient in Dogfish Head’s Grateful Dead Tribute Ale Is…
- Stone Gossard Readies His Moonlander
- Trey Anastasio Band at The Hangout (Video Stream)
- Doctor’s Orders: So what should we call the Super Ball IX Newspaper?
- John Kadlecik Posts Statement on Bob Weir’s Collapse
- "I Wanne Be In moe.": The Latest Volunteers
- Bob Weir Escorted Off Stage During Furthur Show
- Vote for Your Favorite "I Wanne Be In moe." Contestant
- Furthur Cancels BottleRock Show as Bob Weir Is Out Of Commision
- Doctor’s Orders: What’s Your Favorite Furthur Song? (Win Copy of Relix Signed by Phil and Bobby)
- On The Verge Poll