Tour Bus Tunes (Playlists from Bela Fleck, Keller Williams, Chamberlin, Lotus…)
Since festival season and summer tours are approaching, both fans and musicians will be putting lots of miles on their cars and tour buses. If you’re looking for musical inspiration while on wide-open road, check out these responses from some of our favorite, well-traveled musicians. Relix asked some artists what they like to listen to while they’re on the road – and we received a wide array of responses, from podcasts to dubstep and everything in between.
I like to have some new music with me on tour; currently it’s Brooklyn Rider String Quartet, Punch Brothers and Alabama Shakes.
I usually listen to music that will inspire me to be more open regarding the music I am doing on tour.
Sometimes it’s Bartok string quartets, or concertos, sometimes Eric Dolphy, or certain Coltrane or Miles Davis recordings or maybe it’s Nikhil Banerjee sitar ragas. It’s got to be something I can learn from.
I like Radio Lab and Sound Opinions for podcast listening.
I also loved the Shirley MacLaine and William Shatner audio book biographies read by the authors. That was some good fun. If Keith Richards read his book in person, it would be even greater than the book already is.
While driving to festivals, it’s always important to stay awake so I prefer super up-tempo music, super loud with bass cranked and treble even. A good track to download first for a road trip is the record “All Day” from Girl Talk. You can get the whole record as one 70-minute track…for free. It’s crazy mashups of pop music and raunchy gangster rap. It’s not for everyone but almost. It’s entertaining and a good natural, legal, and safe way to stay awake.
Speaking of raunchy mashups, check out 8corporation on Sound Cloud. My favorite is “The Ultimate Trololo Mashup” but I’m weird.
Other favorite road trippin’ tunes would be:
Replacements, “Kids Don’t Follow”
Kinky (feat. John McCrea from CAKE) “The Headphonist”
Lykke Li, “Get Some”
White Denim, “Drug”
Phish, “Punch You in the Eye”
Skrillex, “Nice Sprites and Scary Monsters”
Bassnectar, “Basshead” (I’m a sucker for the hits)
Brian Kinney Fresno, “Bobby Salazar”
Steve Kimock, “Ice Cream”
I got at least 7,587 more if you need ‘em!
Brian Hannon (Company)
“Holiday Road” – from Nat’l Lampoon Vacation…perfect pump up road trip song.
“Spottieottiedopaliscious” – Outkast…when things get quiet in the van and this song comes on, its time to get stoned.
Anything from “Exile on Main St” – when I don’t want to think about what to listen to, this album is getting played…usually end up listening to this several times. Always perfect
“Lay Low”-My Morning Jacket…I love singing while I’m driving, I just turn Jacket on shuffle and wail.
“Motor Away”- Guided by Voices…another great driving song, about driving. Alien Lanes is another great go-to record for zoning out and knocking out some miles
The Howlin’ Brothers take to the Relix rooftop and share a song they wrote with Warren Haynes.
Beth Hart shares the opening track from her latest album, Bang Bang Boom Boom, live at Relix.
Jamie Lidell sets up in the Relix boiler room and delivers a tune from his 2005 album Multiply
Duane Trucks is happy to announce his new project, King Lincoln. Watch them perform “Coffee” live and acoustic at Relix’s Online-Video Coordinator’s loft in Williamsburg.
Here’s another song from Crystal Bowersox’s new record All That For This, live at Relix.
WYATT share a song in the famed Relix boiler room.
Goodnight, Texas share a song from their latest studio album, A Long Life of Living, live at Relix.
Warren Haynes performs a solo, acoustic version of “Railroad Boy” and explains how he adapted the traditional Celtic song for Gov’t Mule, backstage at the Hangout Music Festival.
Australia’s Alpine recently made their NYC debut at the Relix office with this song from their new album A is for Alpine.
In honor of Umphrey’s McGee’s return to Summer Camp this weekend, we present the group’s Brendan Bayliss and Jake Cinninger performing this version of “The Pequod” from UM’s Anchor Drops.
- Sexmob: Cinema, Circus & Spaghetti (Sexmob Plays Fellini: The Music of Nino Rota)
- Summer Stars: Shovels & Rope
- Visions of Bonnaroo Friday (Paul McCartney, Passion Pit, Conspirator…)
- Preservation Hall Jazz Band: Free Download "Dear Lord (Give Me The Strength)"
- God Street Wine with Warren Haynes "Sweet Little Angel" (Live 1996)
- The Howlin’ Brothers "Big Time"
- Primus in Toronto
- Twice "The Joker" on Saturday at Bonnaroo (Gov’t Mule and Jack Johnson)
- Interlocken Confirms Daily Lineups, Tedeschi Trucks Band, Punch Brothers, Keller & The Keels and More Added
- Mumford and Sons Cancel Bonnaroo Show, Summer Tour
- Ed Helms: Bonnaroo, Banjos and a Bit of Phish
- Robert Hunter Will Return to the Stage for Eight Shows
- Warren Haynes to Play Jerry Garcia’s Wolf on Symphony Tour
- Tedeschi Trucks Band Share New Song
- Jack Is Back: Jack Johnson Talks Bonnaroo, ALO and New Album
- Patty Griffin in Boston
- Doctor’s Orders: So what should we call the Super Ball IX Newspaper?
- John Kadlecik Posts Statement on Bob Weir’s Collapse
- "I Wanne Be In moe.": The Latest Volunteers
- Bob Weir Escorted Off Stage During Furthur Show
- Vote for Your Favorite "I Wanne Be In moe." Contestant
- Furthur Cancels BottleRock Show as Bob Weir Is Out Of Commision
- Doctor’s Orders: What’s Your Favorite Furthur Song? (Win Copy of Relix Signed by Phil and Bobby)
- On The Verge Poll