Tour Bus Tunes (Playlists from Bela Fleck, Keller Williams, Chamberlin, Lotus…)
Since festival season and summer tours are approaching, both fans and musicians will be putting lots of miles on their cars and tour buses. If you’re looking for musical inspiration while on wide-open road, check out these responses from some of our favorite, well-traveled musicians. Relix asked some artists what they like to listen to while they’re on the road – and we received a wide array of responses, from podcasts to dubstep and everything in between.
I like to have some new music with me on tour; currently it’s Brooklyn Rider String Quartet, Punch Brothers and Alabama Shakes.
I usually listen to music that will inspire me to be more open regarding the music I am doing on tour.
Sometimes it’s Bartok string quartets, or concertos, sometimes Eric Dolphy, or certain Coltrane or Miles Davis recordings or maybe it’s Nikhil Banerjee sitar ragas. It’s got to be something I can learn from.
I like Radio Lab and Sound Opinions for podcast listening.
I also loved the Shirley MacLaine and William Shatner audio book biographies read by the authors. That was some good fun. If Keith Richards read his book in person, it would be even greater than the book already is.
While driving to festivals, it’s always important to stay awake so I prefer super up-tempo music, super loud with bass cranked and treble even. A good track to download first for a road trip is the record “All Day” from Girl Talk. You can get the whole record as one 70-minute track…for free. It’s crazy mashups of pop music and raunchy gangster rap. It’s not for everyone but almost. It’s entertaining and a good natural, legal, and safe way to stay awake.
Speaking of raunchy mashups, check out 8corporation on Sound Cloud. My favorite is “The Ultimate Trololo Mashup” but I’m weird.
Other favorite road trippin’ tunes would be:
Replacements, “Kids Don’t Follow”
Kinky (feat. John McCrea from CAKE) “The Headphonist”
Lykke Li, “Get Some”
White Denim, “Drug”
Phish, “Punch You in the Eye”
Skrillex, “Nice Sprites and Scary Monsters”
Bassnectar, “Basshead” (I’m a sucker for the hits)
Brian Kinney Fresno, “Bobby Salazar”
Steve Kimock, “Ice Cream”
I got at least 7,587 more if you need ‘em!
Brian Hannon (Company)
“Holiday Road” – from Nat’l Lampoon Vacation…perfect pump up road trip song.
“Spottieottiedopaliscious” – Outkast…when things get quiet in the van and this song comes on, its time to get stoned.
Anything from “Exile on Main St” – when I don’t want to think about what to listen to, this album is getting played…usually end up listening to this several times. Always perfect
“Lay Low”-My Morning Jacket…I love singing while I’m driving, I just turn Jacket on shuffle and wail.
“Motor Away”- Guided by Voices…another great driving song, about driving. Alien Lanes is another great go-to record for zoning out and knocking out some miles
Dame shares a song from her new EP Preventions of Heartbreak.
Golden Bloom stopped by Relix to perform a tune from their latest EP No Day Like Today.
The Chapin Sisters share an tune from their new album A Date With the Everly Brothers.
Minneapolis-based Night Moves share a song from their record, Colored Emotions, live at Relix.
Cloud Cult share a song from their latest album live at Relix.
The Giving Tree Band enjoy a spring day on the Relix rooftop, while performing a classic Grateful Dead tune.
Canadian singer-songwriter Hayden performs a duet with his sister-in-law Lou Canon. The song appears on Us Alone his first record on Broken Social Scene’s Arts & Crafts Productions.
The Milk Carton Kids share the first song from their new album, The Ash & Clay.
Here is the new video from Serbian guitar ace Ana Popovic. “Object Of Obsession” appears on her latest album Can You Stand The Heat.
Ron Sexsmith visits the Relix office to perform a tune from his latest record Forever Endeavor.
- Lotus "Age of Inexperience" (Official Video)
- Morning Teleporation Share "People On My Floor"
- The National at Public Assembly and on Colbert (Gallery and Clips)
- John Fogerty and Dawes "Someday Never Comes" on Letterman
- Nicki Bluhm and The Gramblers "Little Too Late" Live at the Hangout
- John Fogerty: Wrote A Song For Everyone
- The Facebook Photo Contest Top 10
- Welcome to moe.town (Relix Revisited)
- Interlocken Festival to Feature Neil Young, Furthur, String Cheese Incident, Black Crowes, Zac Brown and More
- Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers "Friend of The Devil" at the Beacon
- The Salvation of Page McConnell (Relix Revisited)
- Interlocken Adds Widespread Panic and John Fogerty, Furthur to Play Workingman’s Dead
- Warren Haynes and Joe Bonamassa "If Heartaches Were Nickels"
- The Final Ingredient in Dogfish Head’s Grateful Dead Tribute Ale Is…
- Stone Gossard Readies His Moonlander
- Trey Anastasio Band at The Hangout (Video Stream)
- Doctor’s Orders: So what should we call the Super Ball IX Newspaper?
- John Kadlecik Posts Statement on Bob Weir’s Collapse
- "I Wanne Be In moe.": The Latest Volunteers
- Bob Weir Escorted Off Stage During Furthur Show
- Vote for Your Favorite "I Wanne Be In moe." Contestant
- Furthur Cancels BottleRock Show as Bob Weir Is Out Of Commision
- Doctor’s Orders: What’s Your Favorite Furthur Song? (Win Copy of Relix Signed by Phil and Bobby)
- On The Verge Poll