Interview with Yamantaka Eye of the Boredoms
Translated by Fumie Ishii
Yamantaka Eye, leader of Osaka’s Boredoms, has practiced a kind of unhinged psychedelic shamanism since the early 1980s, encompassing noise and chaos. Recently, he has orchestrated a series of massive drum performances, including Boadrum 9, staged during a total solar eclipse on a cruise ship off the south coast of Japan.
What was playing on a boat during an eclipse like for you?
It was really interesting to see the horizon moving up and down as if it was reacting to the sound we made with an open reel. Anyway, we got seasick and it was kind of tough, but I think the audience enjoyed the sound very much along with the ocean, sky and the motion of the ship. It seemed they had more internal trip than regular shows.
The show was billed as the “LSD Tour.”
The name of the ship was “The Lucy” and the organizer thought it would be cool to word play off the diamond ring shape of the solar eclipse and the Beatles’ song, “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.” I was a bit worried because it was too direct. I heard some undercover cops were on board because of the name.
About 10 years ago, the Boredoms became less noisy and a lot spacier, with an emphasis on percussion. What brought on this change?
The band consists of just drummers and me so, after our guitarist and out bassist left, it was a natural process to become like the way we are now.
What does the word “psychedelic” mean to you?
Since this word has comprehensive meanings and sometimes it is confusing to get, but to me, maybe, diversity? I heard the word “psychedelic” for the first time from my mother. She was referring to neon colored stationary. I was dying to buy to it.
In honor of Umphrey’s McGee’s return to Summer Camp this weekend, we present the group’s Brendan Bayliss and Jake Cinninger performing this version of “The Pequod” from UM’s Anchor Drops.
Dame shares a song from her new EP Preventions of Heartbreak.
Golden Bloom stopped by Relix to perform a tune from their latest EP No Day Like Today.
The Chapin Sisters share an tune from their new album A Date With the Everly Brothers.
Minneapolis-based Night Moves share a song from their record, Colored Emotions, live at Relix.
Cloud Cult share a song from their latest album live at Relix.
The Giving Tree Band enjoy a spring day on the Relix rooftop, while performing a classic Grateful Dead tune.
Canadian singer-songwriter Hayden performs a duet with his sister-in-law Lou Canon. The song appears on Us Alone his first record on Broken Social Scene’s Arts & Crafts Productions.
The Milk Carton Kids share the first song from their new album, The Ash & Clay.
Here is the new video from Serbian guitar ace Ana Popovic. “Object Of Obsession” appears on her latest album Can You Stand The Heat.
- Relix Live Fridays: Trey Anastasio at The Fox
- Grace Potter & The Nocturnals "The Lion The Beast The Beat" (Official Video)
- The Allman Brothers Band Before Gregg?
- The M & Ms: Medeski, Mali, Mercurio, Moore at (Le) Poisson Rouge (A Gallery)
- Brendan Bayliss and Jake Cinninger "The Pequod"
- Trey Anastasio with the National Symphony Orchestra at the Kennedy Center
- More Visions of the Hangout Music Festival 2013 (A Gallery)
- A Blowout for the So So Glos
- Interlocken Festival to Feature Neil Young, Furthur, String Cheese Incident, Black Crowes, Zac Brown and More
- Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers "Friend of The Devil" at the Beacon
- The Salvation of Page McConnell (Relix Revisited)
- Interlocken Adds Widespread Panic and John Fogerty, Furthur to Play Workingman’s Dead
- Warren Haynes and Joe Bonamassa "If Heartaches Were Nickels"
- The Final Ingredient in Dogfish Head’s Grateful Dead Tribute Ale Is…
- Stone Gossard Readies His Moonlander
- Trey Anastasio Band at The Hangout (Video Stream)
- Doctor’s Orders: So what should we call the Super Ball IX Newspaper?
- John Kadlecik Posts Statement on Bob Weir’s Collapse
- "I Wanne Be In moe.": The Latest Volunteers
- Bob Weir Escorted Off Stage During Furthur Show
- Furthur Cancels BottleRock Show as Bob Weir Is Out Of Commision
- Vote for Your Favorite "I Wanne Be In moe." Contestant
- Doctor’s Orders: What’s Your Favorite Furthur Song? (Win Copy of Relix Signed by Phil and Bobby)
- On The Verge Poll